Author: David Akonuche

GUNMEN on Thursday launched a violent attack on the convoy of former Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige, along the Nkpor–Nnobi Road in Idemili North Local Government Area of Anambra State, shooting one police officer and forcibly stripping him of his uniform and rifle. News Point Nigeria reports that Ngige, a former governor of Anambra State, was not in the convoy at the time of the attack, his former media aide, Sir Fred Chukwuelobe, confirmed. The armed attackers reportedly ambushed the security team, opened fire, and targeted the police escorts, injuring one officer before forcibly taking away his…

Read More

UNKNOWN attacked a joint police patrol team along the Abatete–Eziowelle Road in Idemili North Local Government Area of Anambra State on Wednesday. The incident reportedly caused panic in the area as it led to a shootout between the policemen and the assailants. Eyewitnesses told News Point Nigeria that the gunmen burnt a patrol vehicle and injured one of the police officers. One of the eyewitnesses said, “The gunmen, who were heavily armed, ambushed the patrol operatives from the Department of Operations, State Headquarters, Awka, and the Special Anti-Cultism Squad while they were on routine surveillance along the axis. “The attackers…

Read More

THE Federal High Court in Abuja has indefinitely adjourned the N4 billion money laundering trial of former Anambra State governor, Willie Obiano. News Point Nigeria reports that Justice Mohammed Umar granted the adjournment on Tuesday following a request by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission’s legal team, led by S.O. Obila. The case, which came up for the first time before Justice Umar, was previously handled by Justice Inyang Ekwo, who is currently serving a one-year suspension imposed by the National Judicial Council for misconduct. Obila told the court that he had the instructions of the lead prosecuting counsel, Sylvanus…

Read More

THE South-East caucus of the House of Representatives has urged President Bola Tinubu to consider a pardon for the convicted leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu. News Point Nigeria reports that they said releasing Kanu through pardon would open space for broader engagement between the Federal Government, elected leaders, and community stakeholders, leading to long-term peace. The lawmakers, in a statement on Monday after a meeting, said Nigeria has, in critical moments, relied on presidential magnanimity to heal divisions and consolidate peace. “Indeed, the authors of our constitution conceived of Section 175 in anticipation that the bare…

Read More

A FORMER governor of Abia State, Senator Orji Kalu, has said that the killings and abductions in Nigeria are politically motivated. Kalu said the bandits formenting violent attacks in different parts of the country were sponsored by politicians to destabilise the administration of President Bola Tinubu. According to him, the politicians responsible want Tinubu to fail just as they did to former President Goodluck Jonathan. He, however, did not disclose the names of the alleged sponsors. “What we are seeing is always a routine, something that goes with the elections, and when you have an election, people will try to…

Read More

A FEDERAL High Court in Abuja has handed life sentence to Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB). News Point Nigeria reports that Justice James Omotosho delivered the judgement after convicting Kanu on all seven counts of terrorism offences. He also sentenced the IPOB leader to 20 years imprisonment and five years imprisonment on Count Seven, with no option of fine. He said the sentence shall run concurrently. Delivering judgment, he said “I hereby sentence the convict to life imprisonment for counts one, four, five, and six, instead of death sentence. “With respect to Count Three,…

Read More

A CHIEFTAIN of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Samuel Anyanwu, has blamed the PDP Governors’ Forum for the deepening crisis within the party. Anyanwu, who spoke during Channels Television’s political programme Politics Today monitored by News Point Nigeria, said he would not take responsibility for the party’s troubles, insisting PDP governors caused the instability. “The truth of the matter is that I will hold the Governors’ Forum responsible for whatever is happening to the party today,” he said on Monday. Asked if he played his part in stabilising the PDP, he replied, “I did my part very well.” He stated…

Read More

FORMER Anambra State governor, Chief Willie Obiano, is alive and in good health, despite widespread rumours on social media claiming he had died in London. News Point Nigeria reports that the speculation, which spread rapidly across various online platforms on Friday, has been firmly debunked by his former aide and Commissioner for Information, Mr. C-Don Adinuba. In a telephone conversation with our correspondent, Adinuba described the viral reports as “provocative, unfounded, and completely false.” He said he had personally spoken with Obiano and members of his family only minutes before the call, confirming that the former governor is “hale and…

Read More

THE Senior Special Assistant to the President on Community Engagement (South-East), Mrs Chioma Wesley, says President Bola Tinubu will not make any pronouncement on the ongoing trial of the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu. News Point Nigeria reports that she spoke to State House correspondents on Monday after she and three other regional aides briefed the President at the Aso Rock Villa, Abuja. “Nnamdi Kanu’s case is in court, and the President cannot make any pronouncement on it. He abides by the rule of law. So, for now, we wait for the court to make…

Read More

THE Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, has hailed the victory of Governor Chukwuma Soludo in Saturday’s governorship election in Anambra State. News Point Nigeria reports that Soludo was returned for a second term in office after recording a landslide victory, winning all 21 local government areas in the election, which was generally adjudged peaceful. Reacting to the outcome of the poll in a post on her X handle on Sunday, Ojukwu described the result as “a landslide” and thanked the people of Anambra for keeping faith. “IT’S OFFICIAL! APGA wins in ALL the 21 Local Governments of…

Read More

A FEDERALHigh Court in Abuja has threatened to foreclose the detained self acclaimed leader of the proscribed separatist group, Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, should he fail to enter a defence in his ongoing trial for alleged terrorism. News Point Nigeria reports that Justice James Omotosho issued the threat on Tuesday after Kanu failed, for the fourth day, to enter his defence after the prosecution closed its case and the court overruled his no-case submission. Justice Omotosho said should Kanu fail to open his defence on November 5, he would be deemed to have waived his right to…

Read More

OMOYELE Sowore, and Nnamdi Kanu’s lawyer, Aloy Ejimakor, have been released from Kuje Prison after four days in detention. News Point Nigeria reports that announcing his release on Monday via X, Sowore wrote, “Happening Now: Leaving Kuje Prison in Abuja after being detained there illegally for four days. #FreeNnamdiKanuNow.” He was detained last week following his appearance at the Kuje Magistrate Court. Omoyele Sowore walks with supporters shortly after his release from prison on Monday, October 27, 2025. On Friday, a Magistrate Court sitting in Kuje, Abuja, granted bail to the human rights activist, alongside Ejimakor, Prince Emmanuel Kanu (Nnamdi…

Read More

THE detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, has failed to open his defence in his ongoing alleged terrorism trial before a Federal High Court in Abuja. News Point Nigeria reports that Kanu said he could not open his defence because he has not been handed the case file to enable him to familiarise himself with its content to enable him adequately prepare for his defence. Following his inability to commence his defence on Thursday after the withdrawal of his team of lawyers led by former Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), Kanu Agabi, Kanu prayed…

Read More

LEAD counsel for Nnamdi Kanu, Kanu Agabi, has applied to withdraw from representing the detained self-acclaimed leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), stating that the defendant had taken the case back from his legal team. News Point Nigeria reports that all the senior advocates of Nigeria on the defence team have also withdrawn from the suit, a development Kanu confirmed in court. The defendant told the court that he would be representing himself for now, though that might change later. When the judge asked if he should be assigned a lawyer, he declined the offer. Defending himself…

Read More

THE Anti-Kidnapping Unit of the Imo State Police Command has uncovered the alleged sponsors behind the gruesome murder of the traditional ruler of Obudi Agwa community in Oguta Local Government Area of Imo State, His Royal Majesty Ignatius Asor, along with several others, in a series of violent attacks across the state. According to a detailed investigation report submitted to the Commissioner of Police by the Assistant Commissioner of Police in charge of the unit, ACP Oladimeji Odeyeyiwa, and made available to News Point Nigeria, six suspects have been arrested in connection with the killings. They include: Milletus Ihueze (also…

Read More

THE Super Falcons of Nigeria captain Rasheedat Ajibade and star forward Esther Okoronkwo, have been nominated for the coveted CAF African Women Player of The Year Award. News Point Nigeria Sports reports that Confederation of African Football (CAF) announced the nominees for the 2025 CAF Awards – Women’s Categories on Wednesday. The award celebrates the standout performers in African women’s football over the past year. Ajibade and Okoronkwo were both instrumental in Nigeria winning its 10th WAFCON title in July. Nigeria’s Chiamaka Nnadozie, who ranked 4th for the Yashin Trophy at the 2025 Ballon d’Or awards, is nominated for the…

Read More

LABOUR Party’s 2023 presidential candidate, Mr. Peter Obi, has debunked speculations of a political alliance between him and former President Goodluck Jonathan ahead of the 2027 general elections, describing reports of a pact to unseat President Bola Tinubu as entirely false. News Point Nigeria reports that Obi’s clarification came through his media aide and National Coordinator of the Obidient Movement Worldwide, Dr. Yunusa Tanko, who dismissed the claims in an interview on Sunday, insisting that the meeting between the two leaders was purely a “brotherly discussion” about national development and not a political negotiation. “My principal and the former president…

Read More

THE Imo State Government has announced an immediate and total ban on all forms of mining and dredging activities within the Owerri Capital Territory. News Point Nigeria reports that the state government cited widespread environmental destruction caused by uncontrolled sand mining. The Commissioner for Industry, Mines and Solid Minerals, Ernest Ibejiako, announced during a meeting with relevant stakeholders in the mining and dredging sector held in Owerri. He said the decision followed years of unregulated mining that had resulted in devastating floods, soil erosion, and the collapse of critical infrastructure across the city. “Enough is enough, the government and good…

Read More

AHEAD of Nigeria’s 65th independence anniversary, the Federal Government has held a special service to pray and thank God for the nation. News Point Nigeria reports that the church service held on Sunday at the National Ecumenical Centre Abuja. It had in attendance the the President of the Senate, Senator Godswill Akpabio, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume alongside their spouses. Also present were the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Wale Edun and the former Governor of Plateau State, Senator Simon Lalong. The Chief of Defence Staff, Christopher Musa, leads service chiefs…

Read More

THE Federal High Court, Abuja, has rejected the no-case submission of the self-acclaimed leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, in his ongoing alleged terrorism trial. News Point Nigeria reports that in a ruling, Justice Omotosho held that the prosecution had established a case against Kanu to warrant that he be ordered to enter his defence. The judge, who dismissed Kanu’s no-case submission, found that the evidence led by the prosecution and the exhibits it tendered, have raised serious allegations of Kanu’s involvement in terrorist activities to warrant that he be allowed to defend himself. The court…

Read More