Author: Editor

GAZANS are feeling the toll of seven months of war, with women bearing the brunt as hospitals face overcrowding and shortages, says a doctor who just left the southern city of Rafah. “In my 25 years of experience, I’ve never seen a conflict where people must run around in circles with nowhere to go,” Hairhound Lahna said. A gynaecologist, Lahna was head of mission for Rahma Worldwide, an American non-governmental organisation, and Palmed, a France-based association for “health in Palestine”. The war sparked by Hamas’s unprecedented October 7 attack on Israel was “awful for women”, especially those forced to leave…

Read More

MALTA’s former premier Joseph Muscat, the current deputy premier and the central bank chief have been charged in a hospital privatisation scandal that has rocked the Mediterranean island nation. Muscat and one of his ex-ministers, Konrad Mizzi, have been charged with accepting bribes, corruption in public office and money laundering, according to documents obtained by AFP late Tuesday. It is the first time a former premier will face criminal charges in court. Muscat has rejected the allegations as “fantasies”, saying he is the victim of a “political vendetta”. Deputy Prime Minister Chris Fearne — who had been tipped to be…

Read More

KENYA’s government has signed a deal with striking doctors, the health ministry announced Wednesday, after almost two months of industrial action that left thousands of patients struggling to find medical care. “After 56 days, @kmpdu signs agreement, ending nationwide doctors’ strike,” the ministry said on X, formerly Twitter, using the abbreviation for the Kenya Medical Practitioners, Pharmacists and Dentists Union, which launched the action in mid-March in protest over pay. Details of the deal were not immediately available and there was no comment from the union about the agreed provisions. Talks had previously collapsed over the government’s refusal to pay…

Read More

THE South African electoral commission has rejected a request to remove former President Jacob Zuma as the leader of the newly formed Umkhonto weSizwe (MK) party. It was responding to a letter by MK founder Jabulani Khumalo who wanted the commission to remove Mr Zuma as the face of the party and from its list of potential members of parliament. Mr Khumalo, who was recently expelled from the party, said Mr Zuma fraudulently occupies the position as leader of the new party. He also wrote to Mr Zuma, placing him on precautionary suspension for what he said was “several acts…

Read More

KYLIAN Mbappe would have dreamed of his final Champions League act as a Paris St-Germain player being to lift the trophy at Wembley. The reality was very different. Instead, Mbappe’s final moment in the competition for PSG had him slipping over as he chased a lost cause, a through ball he was never going to reach, in a game which was by that point beyond the Parisians. That slip in the final seconds of injury time came as Borussia Dortmund’s 2-0 aggregate victory was safe and sealed following a stout defensive display full of energetic pressing, helped by a sizeable…

Read More

THE United States has played down the deadly Israeli assault on Rafah, saying the offensive appears to be “limited” despite concerns over the fate of the more than 1.5 million Palestinians sheltering in the southern Gaza city. State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller told reporters on Tuesday that the US still opposes a major Israeli offensive against Rafah. Israel had stepped up its bombardment of Rafah on Monday, killing dozens of people after ordering about 100,000 residents in its eastern areas to evacuate. Israeli troops also stormed the Palestinian side of the Rafah border crossing between the Gaza Strip and Egypt,…

Read More

PRINCE Harry arrived in the UK on Tuesday for events marking the anniversary of his Invictus Games but will not meet his father King Charles III, who is undergoing cancer treatment, according to his spokesman. Harry, also known as the Duke of Sussex, was last in the UK in February to visit his father, who had just been diagnosed with cancer. It was expected that the pair would meet at some point during his latest trip. But a spokesman for the prince, who quit royal frontline duties in January 2020 and now lives in the United States with wife Meghan,…

Read More

THREE children are among four people reported missing after a five-storey apartment block collapsed in the Kenyan capital on Tuesday night, a local official said. The cause of the accident in Uthiru, a settlement that lies to the northwest of the city centre, is not known, Nairobi disaster management chief officer Bramwel Simiyu said. “As of 10:00 pm (1900 GMT), all the families except four persons have been accounted for,” Simiyu said in a statement. “The four missing persons include a nanny and two children from one household, as well as a 10-year-old girl from another residence,” he said, adding…

Read More

TOGO’s media regulator on Tuesday warned radio broadcaster Radio France Internationale that it would face suspension if it continued with “unbalanced” reporting and spreading “fake news”. The warning came as media watchdogs accuse the government of a press crackdown since lawmakers passed a highly contested constitutional reform that opposition parties say allows President Faure Gnassingbe to extend his rule. Togo’s High Authority for Audiovisual and Communications or HAAC last month suspended authorisations for foreign journalists to travel to cover the April 29 legislative elections. In its warning letter, HAAC accused RFI of ignoring repeated appeals for neutrality in coverage of…

Read More

SEVEN maritime travellers have been feared kidnapped along the Onne estuary. News Point Nigeria learnt that the incident occurred on Monday as some unsuspecting travellers set out to Port Harcourt by boat. The Rivers State Police Command confirmed the incident on Tuesday. In a telephone conversation, the Public Relations Officer of the Rivers State Police Command Grace Iringe-Koko said 20 passengers were onboard the boat. “Yes the O.C Marine informed me that a boat carrying 20 passengers from Bonny to Onne was intercepted by daredevil sea pirates along the Onne River where they were robbed before 7 of them were…

Read More

NO more than 200 houses including a healthcare centre, classrooms, business premises as well as poultry farms were destroyed by a rainstorm that blew off rooftops in the Miango District of Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State. Though no one died in the early Monday downpour, three persons were injured and receiving treatment while several others have been rendered homeless. But the socio-cultural group in the district, the Miango Youth Development Association said some of the affected persons have found refuge in neighbours residents within the area. In a statement, the group’s spokesman Nuhu Nga appealed for quick intervention…

Read More

THE Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has released additional 531 results from the ones it withheld, taking the total number of results released so far to 1,842,897. The Board, in a statement signed by Dr. Fabian Benjamin, its spokesman, said in the course of the exercise, other cases of examination misconduct were also established to make a tally of 92 from the 81 initially discovered. He said the board is proceeding with the screening of over 64,000 withheld results. “The Board is also looking at cases of unverified candidates and would soon come up with a position,” the statement…

Read More

JUST a day after French giants Paris Saint-Germain expressed their intention to sign Victor Osimhen from Napoli by making a €90m plus €40m first offer, Premier League club, Chelsea, have also tabled an offer of €90m plus Romelu Lukaku for the Nigerian striker. Osimhen only signed a new contract at Napoli at the start of the year with his release clause set at around €130m but that has not deterred interested clubs from making offers for the coveted striker. Following impressive seasons with the Partenopeans, the Super Eagles striker has emerged as one of the most sought-after strikers in Europe.…

Read More

JUST when you think things can’t get any worse for Manchester United, they do. Crystal Palace’s 4-0 demolition of United on Monday has left Erik Ten Hag’s men in real danger of missing out on a European place for next season as unwanted records continue to tumble. The loss leaves them eighth in the Premier League and out of the European places – although a victory against Man City in the FA Cup final would guarantee a Europa League spot. And, despite having 10 first-team players out injured, Ten Hag was not pulling any punches. “It is clear and it…

Read More

US PRESIDENT Joe Biden on Monday “reiterated his clear position” to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu against an invasion of Rafah, the White House said, after Israel defied US warnings and told Palestinians to evacuate part of the southern Gaza city. The two leaders spoke as Biden mounts a diplomatic offensive to get ceasefire talks between Israel and Hamas back on track, with Jordan’s King Abdullah II due at the White House for lunch. Biden told Netanyahu in April that invading Rafah would be a “mistake,” and Washington has said it does not support an offensive without a credible plan to…

Read More

RUSSIA has started preparations for missile drills near Ukraine simulating the use of tactical nuclear weapons in response to “threats” by Western officials. Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said recent statements by French President Emmanuel Macron and the British Foreign Secretary David Cameron constituted a “completely new round of escalation of tension”. Last week, Mr Macron refused to rule out potentially deploying French troops, should Kyiv request them, while Lord Cameron said that Ukraine had the right to use British weapons for strikes within Russia. On Monday, Russia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated that Lord Cameron’s “hostile outburst” contradicted previous British…

Read More

A MULTI-STOREY building under construction in South Africa’s coastal city of George collapsed on Monday trapping about 48 workers in the rubble, the city hall said. Seventy people were on the site at the time of the collapse, of which 22 have been taken to hospital, a city spokeswoman said. Mario Ferreira, spokesperson for the charity Gift of the Givers, assisting at the site, told AFP that rescue workers had “communication with some of the people under the rubble”. It was still unclear what caused the building, with an underground parking lot, to fall in the early afternoon. Photographs shared…

Read More

A MAN was shot dead Monday after voting in Chad’s presidential election by an attacker who did not have an electoral card and had been barred from voting, electoral officials told AFP. The unknown gunman opened fire indiscriminately, hitting a 65-year-old who had just cast his ballot in Moundou, said Ousmane Houzibe, head of the ANGE electoral body in the southern city. The shooter was among a group of people demanding the right to vote in the election, in which junta leader and transitional president Mahamat Idriss Deby Itno’s main rival is Prime Minister Succes Masra. The circumstances of the…

Read More

THE  Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), established in 2002 by the administration of President Olusegun Obasanjo, is “empowered to prevent, investigate, prosecute and penalise economic and financial crimes and is charged with the responsibility of enforcing the provisions of other laws and regulations relating to economic and financial crimes”.  Section 6 of the EFCC Act, 2004 provides, in part: “The Commission shall be responsible for – (b) the investigation of all financial crimes including advance free fraud, money laundering, counterfeiting, illegal charge transfers, futures market fraud, fraudulent encashment of negotiable instruments, computer credit card fraud, contract scam, etc.; (d)…

Read More

PSV Eindhoven were crowned Dutch champions for the 25th time on Sunday, the club’s first title since 2018, in a season also notable for the implosion of rivals Ajax. Peter Bosz’s men made sure of the Eredivisie trophy with two games to spare via a 4-2 win over Sparta Rotterdam in a party atmosphere at a sunny Philips Stadion. This meant second-placed Feyenoord could no longer catch PSV, who celebrated in front of their jubilant fans at the final whistle. It has been a season to remember for the Eindhoven club whose shirt has been graced by Brazilians Romario and…

Read More