PRESIDENT Bola Ahmed Tinubu has expressed sadness over Tuesday’s derailment of an Abuja–Kaduna passenger train, which left at least six passengers injured and forced the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) to suspend operations along the corridor.
In a statement posted on his official X handle, @officialABAT cited by News Point Nigeria, the President said he was following developments closely, even while on an official visit to Brazil, and awaiting a full briefing on the circumstances that led to the mishap.
“Even while in Brazil, I have received reports of today’s Abuja–Kaduna train derailment.
“I am deeply saddened by this incident. My heartfelt prayers are with the injured, their families, and all passengers who went through this distressing experience,” Tinubu said.
The President directed the NRC to take urgent remedial steps and implement stronger safety measures to prevent a recurrence.
“I am staying updated on the latest developments and await a full briefing to ensure swift action and support for all affected.
“The NRC is already addressing the situation, and necessary steps are expected to be taken to prevent similar occurrences in the future,” he added.
Following the incident, which occurred around 11am shortly after the train departed Abuja for Kaduna, the NRC announced the suspension of operations on the busy corridor until investigations are concluded and safety guaranteed.
Addressing journalists in Abuja yesterday, the NRC Managing Director, Kayode Opeifa, confirmed that six passengers sustained minor injuries and had been treated.
He noted that while the exact passenger manifest was still being reconciled, steps had been taken to refund fares to all ticket holders.
“We have initiated refund processes for all ticket holders. Our technical staff, in collaboration with the Nigeria Safety Investigation Bureau (NSIB) and other agencies, are on site carrying out investigations,” Opeifa said.
He dismissed suggestions of poor maintenance, insisting that the suspension was purely a precautionary measure pending the outcome of the probe.
The Nigeria Safety Investigation Bureau (NSIB) confirmed it had deployed a special “go-team” to the scene to collect evidence, interview witnesses, and determine the root cause of the derailment.
The agency’s Director of Public Affairs, Bimbo Oladeji, said that although no lives were lost, six passengers were injured.
Quoting the Director-General, Captain Alex Badeh Jr., the NSIB extended sympathy to victims and their families.
“We deeply sympathise with all who sustained injuries. Our investigators are on ground to uncover the cause of this derailment. The NSIB is committed to ensuring safer rail transport for Nigerians through a transparent and independent investigation,” Badeh said.
The Bureau noted that its inquiry would go beyond the immediate cause to examine systemic factors that may have contributed to the mishap.
Survivors described the moments after the derailment as chaotic, with many scrambling out of the coaches fearing a terrorist attack similar to the deadly assault on the same route in 2022.
One passenger told News Point Nigeria at the Idu Train Station in Abuja: “People were terrified. Everyone thought it was another terrorist attack. It was pure confusion before officials assured us it was just a derailment.”
The NRC announced that it had opened dedicated hotlines for passengers and families seeking refunds, assistance, or further information.
Meanwhile, the NSIB assured that interim findings from its investigation would be made public soon, with recommendations to improve rail safety nationwide.