THE Federal Government has approved a N5 billion intervention fund for victims of the devastating fire that razed large sections of the historic Singer Market in Kano, providing immediate relief to hundreds of affected traders.
News Point Nigeria reports that Vice-President Kashim Shettima announced the donation on Monday during a sympathy visit to the market, days after an inferno swept through the commercial hub, destroying goods and property estimated to be worth billions of naira.
The fire, which broke out last week, left scores of traders counting heavy losses as shops, warehouses, and merchandise were reduced to ashes. Eyewitnesses described scenes of chaos as traders struggled helplessly to salvage their goods while firefighters battled the raging flames.
Addressing victims and community leaders during his visit, Shettima described the incident as a national tragedy.
“This is not just a loss to Kano State; it is a loss to the entire federation,” the vice-president said, assuring traders that the Federal Government stands in solidarity with them during the difficult period.
He emphasized that the N5 billion donation was aimed at cushioning the immediate impact of the disaster and accelerating the recovery of commercial activities in the market.
The vice-president was accompanied by the Governors of Jigawa State, Kebbi State, and Imo State, underscoring what officials described as a collective show of national unity and support.
Together, they toured the affected sections of the market, interacting with traders and assessing the scale of destruction. The delegation also offered prayers for the victims, seeking divine intervention to forestall a recurrence of such disasters.
Shettima prayed to Almighty Allah to protect markets and communities across the country from similar “obnoxious disasters” in the future.
In his remarks, the Chairman of the Singer Market Traders Association, Junaid Zakari, commended the Federal Government for what he called a timely and generous intervention.
“We are deeply grateful for this show of compassion and leadership,” Zakari said. “This support will go a long way in helping our members rebuild their businesses and restore their livelihoods.”
He pledged that the funds would be judiciously managed and transparently disbursed to ensure that the most affected traders receive the necessary assistance.

