PANIC gripped passengers on Tuesday morning after a train travelling from Abuja to Kaduna derailed, forcing terrified commuters to scramble for safety.
News Point Nigeria gathered that the incident, which occurred along the Kaduna corridor shortly after the train departed Abuja around 11am, once again raised fresh concerns about the safety of one of Nigeria’s busiest rail routes.
Eyewitnesses described the moment as tense and chaotic. “People were shouting and trying to get out. Nobody knew what was happening, everyone was afraid,” one passenger told News Point Nigeria, noting that fear of possible attacks compounded the confusion.
Although details remain sketchy, initial reports indicate that several coaches skidded off the tracks, halting the journey midway.
As of the time of filing this report, there were no official confirmations of injuries or casualties.
Security sources told this newspaper that military personnel had been dispatched to the scene to secure the area and assist in evacuating stranded passengers, given the vulnerability of the corridor which has previously witnessed attacks.
The Nigerian Railway Corporation also confirmed the incident, saying one of its Kaduna-bound AKTS train services was involved in a derailment on Tuesday morning.
According to the NRC, the incident occurred at about 11:09am at KM 49, between Kubwa Station and Asham Station.
In a statement issued via their official X account on Tuesday, the corporation said, “The Nigerian Railway Corporation confirms a train derailment involving our Kaduna bound AKTS train service at about 11:09am at KM 49 between Kubwa station and Asham station.”
The NRC noted that emergency services had been activated to respond promptly to the situation.
“Emergency rescue, medical personnel, and nearby hospitals have already been mobilised. Full compliment of security already on ground as effort is ongoing to move all passengers on train back to Abuja safely,” the statement added.
Appealing for calm, the corporation urged passengers and the general public to remain patient as authorities worked to ensure safety and restore normalcy. “Kindly bear with us at this moment,” the NRC stated.
Details on the cause of the derailment and the number of passengers affected were not mentioned in the statement
The Abuja–Kaduna rail line has been a lifeline for commuters avoiding the often-dangerous expressway once plagued by banditry and kidnappings.
However, the line itself has faced security and operational challenges, including the March 2022 terror attack that claimed several lives and led to the temporary suspension of train services.
Meanwhile, anxious relatives of passengers have been flooding communication lines, seeking updates about their loved ones.
Many took to social media to express both relief at the absence of reported casualties and frustration over recurring safety lapses.