THE Department of State Services (DSS) has reopened investigations into the 2019 disappearance of Abubakar Idris, popularly known as Dadiyata, nearly seven years after the Kaduna-based academic and social media commentator was declared missing.
A security source confirmed that the agency is set to invite individuals linked to the case as part of renewed efforts to unravel the circumstances surrounding his disappearance.
Dadiyata, a lecturer at the Federal University Dutsinma in Katsina State, was reportedly abducted on August 2, 2019, by unidentified gunmen as he arrived at his residence in Barnawa, Kaduna. His whereabouts have remained unknown since then, despite sustained public campaigns demanding answers.
The reopening of the case comes amid renewed public attention following comments by former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, and emotional appeals from Dadiyata’s wife, Kadijah.
In a video interview released by former presidential aide Reno Omokri on his X handle, Kadijah expressed anguish over her husband’s continued absence.
“We pray that one day, he will come back,” she said, urging Nigerians to help her family ascertain whether he is alive or dead.
“They should please do whatever they can to help us know his whereabouts, if he’s alive or not,” she added.
Kadijah also recalled a controversial social media comment allegedly made in 2019 by the son of a former Kaduna governor, which she described as hurtful.
“It was somebody who showed me because I didn’t have a phone at that time… I felt bad about it. I can’t even explain,” she said.
She recounted watching from her window as her husband was taken away from their compound, a traumatic experience that has continued to shape the family’s life in the years since.
Omokri, who visited the family, pledged to pursue justice and appealed to the Kaduna State Governor, Uba Sani, to provide support for Kadijah and her children, including possible relocation assistance and educational support.
“Nigeria owes a duty of care to this family for what has happened to them,” he said.
The case resurfaced publicly on February 14, 2026, when El-Rufai denied any involvement and argued that Dadiyata was primarily critical of the Kano State administration rather than Kaduna.
“El-Rufai stated that he was unaware of Dadiyata before the abduction was reported to authorities,” maintaining that the matter had nothing to do with his government.
Reacting, former Kano State Governor Abdullahi Ganduje dismissed attempts to link him or the Kano State Government to the disappearance, describing such claims as unfounded and an effort to shift responsibility.
According to Ganduje, Dadiyata was widely known in Kaduna for his criticism of the state government at the time.
A security source further disclosed that the DSS recently seized El-Rufai’s passport at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja to prevent him from travelling abroad while investigations are ongoing.
The source said the reopened investigation covers not only Dadiyata’s disappearance but also other unresolved missing persons cases.
“El-Rufai is fully aware that the DSS is investigating him and his two sons for Dadiyata’s kidnapping,” the source alleged, adding that invitations for questioning may be extended as the probe progresses.
As of the time of filing this report, the DSS had not issued an official public statement detailing the scope of the renewed investigation or confirming specific individuals to be invited.

