THE Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission has defended its decision to deny leaders of the African Democratic Congress access to former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, insisting that the action was taken in compliance with a subsisting court order.
News Point Nigeria reports that the commission’s spokesman, John Odey, disclosed this on Saturday while reacting to allegations by the ADC that its leaders were harassed and denied access during a visit to El-Rufai at the commission’s headquarters in Abuja on Friday.
According to Odey, the ICPC had formally responded to a letter from the ADC requesting permission for some of its leaders to visit the former governor.
“Yes, we denied them. They wrote to us saying that they wanted to come and visit El-Rufai. They listed those people who came, Aregbesola, Abolaji Abdullahi and others,” Odey said.
“We got their letter on the 20th or thereabouts and replied to them on the 21st that they should not come because the court order was specific.”
The ICPC spokesman explained that the court order only permitted access to El-Rufai’s immediate family members, legal counsel and medical doctors.
“The access is limited to the category of his immediate family members, his legal counsel and his medical doctors. Based on the court order, under the circumstances, we are not able to grant them their request to visit,” he stated.
Responding to questions on whether the ADC had been informed before arriving at the commission’s office, Odey maintained that the party duly received the commission’s response.
“The letter was given to them, and it was stamped that they received it,” he said.
“But there is evidence that ADC received the letter. The fact remains that ADC is a political association and does not fall under the category that the court ordered us to grant access.”
Odey also dismissed allegations that ADC leaders were intimidated or harassed by security operatives stationed at the ICPC headquarters.
“No, no, no. They were not harassed. No harassment whatsoever. They were not intimidated,” he said.
He explained that the armed policemen seen at the commission’s gate were part of routine security arrangements usually maintained at the premises.
“Usually, you know that we have a detachment of mobile policemen at the gate all the time. Sometimes you see their trucks parked there. Those are the things they saw that they said we brought three trailers of police,” he stated.
The ICPC spokesman insisted that the commission would continue to obey the court order restricting access to the former Kaduna governor.
“We will not allow them. The court was specific, saying that the category of persons allowed by the court is his immediate family, his lawyers and his doctors. Anybody outside that category, we do not have the authority of the court to grant access,” he said.
Odey added that the commission remained apolitical and was acting strictly within the law while also ensuring El-Rufai’s safety in custody.
“We are apolitical. We did not bring policemen to intimidate them. The police officers have always been there,” he added.
The ADC had earlier accused the ICPC of obstructing access to El-Rufai after senior leaders of the party were prevented from seeing him at the commission’s headquarters in Abuja.
The party also alleged that heavily armed policemen were deployed to the premises during the visit, describing the development as intimidation targeted at opposition figures.
In a statement issued in Abuja, the ADC National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi, said the party had formally written to the ICPC Chairman, Musa Aliyu, requesting visitation rights amid concerns over El-Rufai’s well-being.
El-Rufai is currently standing trial on nine amended charges bordering on alleged violations of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act 2000, the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Related Offences Act 2006, the Kaduna State Penal Code 2017, and the Kaduna State Public Procurement Law 2017.
The former Kaduna State governor has pleaded not guilty to all the charges.

