Author: Farouk Abbas

THE Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) ) has released the official timetable for Nigeria’s 2027 General Elections, outlining key dates for voting, party primaries, campaigns, and voter registration. News Point Nigeria reports that the announcement comes amid growing concerns over the delayed passage of the amended Electoral Act currently before the National Assembly. INEC had on February 4 indicated that it had completed work on the election timetable and schedule of activities despite the delay. According to the schedule, the Presidential and National Assembly elections will be held on Saturday, February 20, 2027. Governorship and State House of Assembly elections…

Read More

FRESH diplomatic tensions have emerged between Moscow and Kyiv following claims by Ukrainian authorities that Nigerian nationals were killed while fighting on the side of Russian forces, allegations that come days after Russia’s envoy in Abuja denied any state-backed recruitment of Nigerians for the war. Ukraine’s military intelligence agency, the Ukrainian Defence Intelligence (UDI), announced that it had identified two Nigerian men, Hamzat Kazeem Kolawole and Mbah Stephen Udoka, who were killed in combat operations in the Luhansk region of eastern Ukraine. The disclosure followed a press briefing in Abuja by Russia’s Ambassador to Nigeria, Andrey Podyelyshev, who firmly denied…

Read More

A HIGH Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) sitting in Maitama was informed on Thursday that former Minister of Aviation, Princess Stella Adaeze Oduah, has initiated discussions with the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) over a possible plea bargain in the N2.4 billion fraud case pending against her. News Point Nigeria reports that the development emerged when the matter came up for hearing before Justice Hamza Muazu, with the prosecution disclosing that the former minister formally applied for negotiations under the provisions of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA), 2015. Oduah and her former aide, Gloria Odita,…

Read More

TENSION unfolded at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, on Thursday following an alleged attempt by security operatives to arrest former Kaduna State Governor, Malam Nasir El-Rufai, upon his arrival from Cairo, Egypt. News Point Nigeria reports that the development was disclosed by his Media Adviser, Muyiwa Adekeye, who shared details of the incident through a series of social media posts and videos. According to Adekeye, El-Rufai was approached by security operatives shortly after disembarking from Egypt Air flight MS 877. Adekeye alleged that the operatives sought to take the former governor into custody immediately upon arrival. However, El-Rufai reportedly…

Read More

THE 10th Prosecution Witness of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission in the ongoing alleged money laundering trial of the immediate past Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, has maintained that the cash withdrawals by the individuals mentioned in his testimony were in line with the guidelines of the Central Bank of Nigeria. The witness, Olomotane Egoro, a compliance officer with Access Bank Plc, said he had been working with the bank since May 2023. He confirmed that one Aminu Jimoh Olanrewaju, who was earlier said to have made withdrawals from the Kogi State Government House Administration Account, was one…

Read More

THE United States is reportedly making plans to deploy approximately 200 additional troops to Nigeria as part of an expanded security partnership between the two nations, according to a report by The New York Times. News Point Nigeria reports that the proposed deployment would be in addition to a small team of U.S. special forces already operating in the country to assist Nigerian authorities in addressing insecurity and terrorism. According to U.S. officials quoted in the report, the additional troops will not engage in combat operations but will instead focus on training Nigerian security personnel and providing technical expertise. “The…

Read More

STATE governments across Nigeria paid a total of N455.38bn in foreign debt service in 2025, marking a significant increase from the N362.08bn recorded in 2024, according to Federation Accounts Allocation Committee (FAAC) data released by the National Bureau of Statistics and analysed by this newspaper. The year-on-year increase of N93.30bn represents a 25.77 per cent rise in foreign debt deductions, highlighting mounting repayment obligations for subnational governments. In practical terms, this means states lost a larger share of their FAAC inflows to external loan servicing in 2025 than in the previous year, tightening fiscal space available for salaries, infrastructure, and…

Read More

THE Senate will on Tuesday (today) reconvene for an emergency plenary session as mounting national outrage trails its handling of amendments to the Electoral Act, particularly the controversial decision to remove the clause mandating real-time electronic transmission of election results. The extraordinary sitting comes less than a week after the passage of the Electoral Act 2022 (Repeal and Re-enactment) Amendment Bill, 2026, and follows sustained pressure from civil society organisations, opposition leaders, labour unions, professional bodies, regional groups, and an increasingly vocal youth movement that has taken its protest to the gates of the National Assembly. The President of the…

Read More

PRESIDENT Bola Tinubu has assured Nigerians that his administration will conquer the threats posed by terrorists and bandits in the country. News Point Nigeria reports that Tinubu made the assurance during his opening remarks at the ongoing National Executive Council conference on Inclusive Growth and Sustainable National Development. “And I am leaving here again to further find means to strengthen our security forces to defeat terrorism and banditry, that I promise you, Tinubu said. “It is what has kept all of us sleepless at night, but I assure you that we will win with determination and resiliency. We will overcome…

Read More

THE Supreme Council for Shariah in Nigeria (SCSN) has issued a strong clarification defending its controversial call for the removal and prosecution of the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof. Joash Ojo Amupitan, insisting that its position is rooted in concerns over national unity, institutional integrity and constitutional responsibility not religion. The clarification followed widespread public debate and political reactions triggered by resolutions adopted at the Council’s Annual Pre-Ramadan Conference and General Assembly held on Wednesday, January 28, 2026 (9th Sha‘aban 1447 AH). One of the resolutions, which called for the removal of the INEC Chairman, drew…

Read More

THE President of the Senate, Godswill Akpabio, has clarified that the Senate did not reject the electronic transmission of election results but merely retained the provision as contained in the 2022 Electoral Act. News Point Nigeria reports that Akpabio made the clarification on Saturday in Abuja while speaking at a book launch on the burden of legislators in Nigeria. He explained that electronic transmission of results remains permissible, but the phrase “real time” was removed from the provision. Akpabio said, “All we said during discussion was that we should remove the word ‘real-time’ because if you say real-time, then there…

Read More

VICE President Kashim Shettima has arrived in Ilorin, the Kwara State capital, in the aftermath of last Tuesday’s deadly attack on Woro community in Kaiama Local Government Area. News Point Nigeria reports that more than 100 residents were killed during the incident. The Vice President landed at the Tunde Idiagbon International Airport, Ilorin, and was received by Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, the Senator representing Kwara North, Senator Sadiq Umar, alongside other top government officials. Shettima’s visit is part of the Federal Government’s response to the mass killing, which has thrown the state into mourning and heightened security concerns across Kwara’s northern…

Read More

THE Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja has dismissed fresh attempts by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria, to halt the payment of a ₦2.5 billion judgment debt awarded to 110 former ABU workers unlawfully dismissed in 1996. News Point Nigeria reports that in two separate but unanimous judgments delivered by a three-member panel, the appellate court ordered the CBN to immediately release the ₦2.5 billion lodged in its custody since 2018 for onward payment to the affected workers, warning that severe sanctions would be imposed should the apex bank continue to obstruct execution…

Read More

US President Donald Trump has praised Nigeria’s First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, describing her as a “very respected woman” during the National Prayer Breakfast in Washington, D.C on Thursday. News Point Nigeria reports that Trump made the remarks while addressing participants at the faith-based gathering, which was attended by political and civic leaders from across the world. His comments highlighted Mrs Tinubu’s influence and stature, drawing applause from the audience. In his address, Trump recognised the Nigerian First Lady’s role as a pastor in one of Nigeria’s largest churches and referenced her pastoral background. “We are honoured to be joined…

Read More

Court adjourns To March 3, 9 For Continuation Of Trial THE Seventh Prosecution Witness of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission in the ongoing alleged money laundering trial against the immediate past Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, has maintained that the name of the former governor did not appear, either as beneficiary in all documents, or as signatory to any of the Exhibits before the court. While being cross-examined before Justice Emeka Nwite of the Federal High Court on Thursday, the witness, Olomotane Egoro, subpoenaed from Access Bank, also admitted that no transaction in Exhibit 33(8) mentioned the name:…

Read More

AN FCT High Court sitting in Abuja has convicted and sentenced a former Managing Director of the Nigerian Export-Import Bank (NEXIM), Robert Orya, to a cumulative 490 years’ imprisonment over a massive ₦2.4 billion fraud. News Point Nigeria reports that Justice F.E. Messiri on Thursday handed down the sentence after finding Orya guilty on 49 counts bordering on criminal breach of trust, conspiracy, and diversion of public funds. The court sentenced the former bank chief to 10 years’ imprisonment on each count, with the sentences to run consecutively, bringing the total jail term to 490 years. The prosecution was brought…

Read More

THE 16th Fulani Emir of Kano, Khalifa Muhammadu Sanusi II, has reiterated the enduring relevance of traditional institutions in Nigeria’s governance architecture, insisting that constitutional provisions are not required for him to offer counsel to elected leaders on issues affecting the nation. Speaking during an interview on Channels Television’s Morning Brief monitored by News Point Nigeria, the former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria said his authority to advise the President or state governors flows naturally from his position as a traditional ruler and leader of the people, not from constitutional endorsement. “I don’t need the Constitution to tell…

Read More

A SENIOR Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Joseph Daudu and Counsel to the immediate past Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, said at the Federal High Court in Abuja, on Wednesday, that Bello was facing political trial and not money laundering charges. He said this on Wednesday at the ongoing money laundering case instituted against Bello by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC. Daudu’s clarification followed the remarks in the open court by EFCC Counsel, Kemi Pinheiro SAN, that what happened in the mode of payments by Local Government Areas in Kogi state was stealing by disguise. He said this…

Read More

A JUDICIAL commission of inquiry set up by the Sokoto State Government has alleged that more than ₦117 billion was misappropriated during the eight-year administration of former governor Aminu Waziri Tambuwal, citing widespread financial irregularities, abuse of office and persistent violations of procurement and financial regulations. News Point Nigeria reports that the commission submitted its report to the state government on Tuesday, marking the conclusion of months of investigations into the conduct of the previous administration. Presenting the findings, the chairman of the commission, Hon. Justice Mu’azu Abdulkadir Pindiga (retd.), said the inquiry uncovered extensive non-compliance with due process, breaches…

Read More

FORMER Vice President Atiku Abubakar has held a private, closed-door meeting with Senator Abdulaziz Yari, a former governor of Zamfara State and current senator representing Zamfara West, in Abuja. Credible sources confirmed to News Point Nigeria that the meeting took place at Atiku’s residence in the Federal Capital Territory. The engagement was held away from public view, with no access granted to journalists. Neither Atiku nor Yari addressed the media after the meeting, and no official statement was issued regarding the purpose or outcome of the talks as of the time of filing this report. Despite the silence, the development…

Read More