OPERATIVES of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) have arrested former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, after weeks of surveillance, intelligence gathering, and a painstaking manhunt, which investigators said was complicated by his constant use of multiple SIM cards, frequent changes of phone numbers, and movement between different residences, News Point Nigeria gathered.
Mamman, who had remained in hiding even after being convicted and sentenced in absentia to 75 years imprisonment by a Federal High Court in Abuja, was eventually tracked and arrested in the Rigasa area of Kaduna State at about 3:30am on Tuesday.
The EFCC also arrested two persons accused of harbouring and protecting the former minister while he was on the run.
EFCC Chairman, Ola Olukoyede, disclosed the arrest during a press briefing in Abuja, describing it as a strong demonstration of the Federal Government’s resolve to fight corruption and ensure that individuals who divert public resources are brought to justice.
“I’m happy to announce to Nigerians that at about 3:30am this morning, we arrested Mr Saleh Mamman,” Olukoyede said.
“This is a test of the commitment of the Federal Government of Nigeria to the fight against corruption in Nigeria and to assure Nigerians that anyone who has dipped into government or national resources will not go unpunished.
“The eagle eye of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission will always catch up with you wherever you are hiding.”
Further findings by News Point Nigeria revealed that Mamman had been moving between several locations in a bid to evade arrest, while also frequently changing his phone numbers and SIM cards to make tracking difficult for investigators.
A high-placed source familiar with the operation told News Point Nigeria that the former minister deliberately switched communication lines and only used his phones while in transit.
“The convict continued to change his phone number. He continued using different phone lines. But as God would have it, operatives closed in on him, and he was finally arrested,” the source said.
“And his ping locations always varied to about 12 homes and he only uses his phone when he is on the move.”
Sources within the commission also disclosed that EFCC operatives immediately activated surveillance and intelligence operations after Mamman was sentenced last week by the Federal High Court in Abuja.
According to the sources, investigators spread their dragnet across different locations before eventually tracing him through his phone to an apartment in Rigasa, Kaduna State.
“Immediately the judgment was delivered, we spread our dragnet in search of him following weeks of intensive surveillance and intelligence gathering, but we eventually tracked him with his phone and found him in an apartment in the Rigasa area of Kaduna. Two people who harboured him have also been arrested,” one of the sources said.
This newspaper had earlier reported that Justice James Omotosho convicted Mamman on all 12 counts filed against him.
The charges bordered on money laundering and fraud amounting to N33.8 billion linked to the diversion of funds from the Mambilla and Zungeru hydropower projects.
The former minister was subsequently sentenced to 75 years imprisonment in absentia after failing to appear before the court.
Speaking further during the briefing, Olukoyede the operation sends a strong message to public officials and private individuals accused of corruption that the EFCC would continue to pursue cases involving the diversion of public resources.
“This is a test of the commitment of the Federal Government of Nigeria to the fight against corruption. It is to assure Nigerians that anyone who has misappropriated government or national resources will not go unpunished,” he said.
“The eagle eye of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission will always catch up with you wherever you are hiding. So it is important for us to let Nigerians know that we are working. There is no area that we will not go into.”

