A FEDERAL High Court sitting in Kaduna has granted bail to former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, in a corruption case filed against him by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC). News Point Nigeria report that the ruling was delivered on Tuesday by Justice Rilwanu Aikawa, who had earlier adjourned proceedings from April 1 to April 14, 2026, to consider submissions from both the prosecution and defence. The court admitted the former governor to bail in the sum of N200 million. However, it ordered that El-Rufai remain in ICPC custody pending the fulfilment of the bail…
Author: Farouk Abbas
FORMER Rivers State governor and ex-Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, has raised fresh concerns over Nigeria’s worsening insecurity, describing developments in parts of the country as reminiscent of a civil war. News Point Nigeria reports that Amaechi made the remarks on Tuesday while speaking at the National Convention of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) in Abuja, where he criticised the handling of security challenges under President Bola Tinubu. “I watched yesterday in Nasarawa State—people were running away from their community like a civil war. The civil war image came back to my head,” he said. Reflecting on his time in…
THE National Chairman of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), David Mark, has described the ongoing crisis within the party as a “generational challenge,” declaring that the opposition cannot be silenced through legal or institutional pressure. News Point Nigeria reports that Mark made the remarks at the party’s 2026 National Convention held in Abuja, where he addressed a large gathering of delegates and supporters amid heightened political tensions. Speaking at the event, he told party members that the ADC recognises the present moment as both one of great opportunity and immense responsibility. “Our objective is not merely political success or a…
SENATE President Godswill Akpabio has expressed optimism that Nigeria’s worsening insecurity will subside shortly after the forthcoming elections, attributing the current surge in violence to political maneuvering by opposition elements. News Point Nigeria reports that Akpabio made this assertion on Tuesday in Abuja during the official commissioning of the Nigerian Revenue Service (NRS) Corporate Headquarters, where he suggested that rising insecurity is being deliberately fueled by individuals unsettled by the political landscape ahead of the polls. Speaking at the event attended by top government officials, the Senate President defended the administration of Bola Tinubu, stating that the President’s performance has…
JUSTICE Rilwan Aikawa of the Federal High Court sitting in Kaduna State has granted the former governor of the state, Nasir El-Rufai, bail. News Point Nigeria reports that El-Ruufai is being charged for alleged financial misconduct, including deposits into his domiciliary account and how his earnings were handled by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC). However, El-Rufai’s bail application was stalled at the Kaduna State High Court, as the presiding judge, Justice Darius Khobo, has reserved ruling on the bail application to April 21, 2026. The former governor is being arraigned before the state high court…
THE Supreme Court has fixed April 22, 2026, to hear two separate appeals filed by the Kabiru Turaki-led group of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). News Point Nigeria reports that the group is seeking to overturn the Court of Appeal’s decision invalidating the Ibadan National Convention held on November 15-16, 2025. A five-member panel of the apex court, led by Justice Lawal Garba, granted the Turaki group’s application for accelerated hearing and departure from the rules to abridge the time for filing briefs of argument. In the first appeal, filed by the Turaki-led group against the PDP group…
NIGERIA’s power sector continues to face deep financial and operational challenges, with the Federal Government incurring a subsidy obligation of N418.79bn in the fourth quarter of 2025, even as inefficiencies across the electricity value chain resulted in losses exceeding N300bn during the same period. News Point Nigeria reports that this was disclosed in the fourth-quarter 2025 report released by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission, which highlighted declining remittances, persistent distribution losses, grid instability, and a marginal decline in available generation capacity. According to the report, generation companies issued total invoices amounting to N804.93bn for electricity produced within the quarter. However,…
THE Presidency has said there is no plan to restrict the 2027 general elections to only the All Progressives Congress (APC), insisting that opposition parties remain free to operate within Nigeria’s political space. The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Communication, Sunday Dare, made this clarification while speaking as a guest on Politics Today on Channels Television on Monday monitored by News Point Nigeria. Dare, a former Minister of Youth and Sports Development, was reacting to a protest staged by the African Democratic Congress (ADC) over the decision of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to suspend recognition…
THERE was mild drama at the Kaduna State High Court on Monday as former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, was overheard discussing the African Democratic Congress (ADC) national convention scheduled for Tuesday. News Point Nigeria reports that the opposition party has maintained its resolve to proceed with the convention despite a warning from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) advising against it. According to observations at the court premises, El-Rufai, who is a chieftain of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), arrived at about 9 a.m. and was briefly seen exchanging words with one of his loyalists. Dressed in a white…
THE Federal Government on Sunday announced that electricity generation increased from 3,951MW to 4,300MW between March 28 and April 10. The development was disclosed in a statement sent to News Point Nigeria by the Special Adviser to the Minister of Power on Strategic Communications and Media Relations, Bolaji Tunji. Tunji said the gradual rise in generation output within the period aligns with the assurance earlier given by the Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, at the Power Sector Working Group, where he pledged improved electricity supply within two weeks. He explained that the improvement coincided with a steady increase in gas…
THE supreme court has fixed April 14 for the hearing of an appeal filed by David Mark, national chairman of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), against a suit filed by Nafiu Bala, a former deputy national chair, challenging his leadership. In the appeal marked SC/CV/180/2026, Mark is asking the court to grant an order staying the execution of the court of appeal’s ruling delivered on March 12. News Point Nigeria reports that the hearing notice was sent to the parties in the case on Friday through the litigation department of the supreme court. Emeka Nwite, judge of the federal high…
THE Presidential Fiscal Policy and Tax Reforms Committee has dismissed reports claiming that the Minister of State for Finance, Taiwo Oyedele, admitted errors in Nigeria’s new tax laws. In a statement sent to News Point Nigeria on Sunday, the committee described the reports as “misleading” and a misrepresentation of the minister’s comments. “Our attention has been drawn to misleading media reports claiming that the Honourable Minister of State for Finance, Mr. Taiwo Oyedele has ‘finally admitted errors in the new tax laws.’ “These publications misrepresent the Minister’s statements, falsely alleging that he urged Nigerians to await the outcome of a…
FORMER Governor of Jigawa State, Sule Lamido, has responded strongly to past corruption allegations made against him by former Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, stating that recent developments have made it clear “who owns what.” News Point Nigeria reports that Lamido said Malami had, on several occasions, accused him of being a thief, but insisted that Nigerians are now in a position to assess the credibility of those claims based on publicly known information about both men. Speaking during an interview with DCL Hausa, the former governor dismissed the allegations as politically motivated, maintaining that he served with integrity…
THE African Democratic Congress (ADC) has called on Professor Joash Amupitan to resign as Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), warning that it will embark on civil disobedience if he remains in office. News Point Nigeria reports that the opposition party, which has consistently rated Amupitan poorly, made the demand while reacting to fresh allegations surrounding his alleged partisanship. Amupitan has recently come under intense scrutiny over purported old social media posts suggesting bias in favour of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC). In response to the controversy, Adedayo Oketola, Chief Press Secretary and Media Adviser to the…
THE Saudi–designated Nigerian Hajj air carrier, Flynas, has deployed six aircraft for the airlift of Nigerian intending pilgrims to Saudi Arabia for 2026 Hajj. This was announced by the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of First Planet Travels Limited and General Sales Agent (GSA) for Flynas in Nigeria, Alhaji Umar Kaila, in an interview with journalists in Abuja. A statement sent to News Point Nigeria by Mahmood Muhammad Abande of the Flynas Media Office Abuja on Friday quoted the airline’s chief as saying that the company has lined up six wide-body Airbus A330 for the Hajj operation. Four of…
THE African Democratic Congress (ADC) led by David Mark has approached a Federal High Court in Abuja, asking it to compel the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to reverse changes made to the party’s leadership records on its portal. News Point Nigeria reports that in a motion on notice filed before Justice Emeka Nwite, the party is seeking an order of mandatory injunction setting aside INEC’s decision to remove its National Working Committee (NWC) members from the commission’s records, as well as its refusal to monitor the party’s congresses and convention. The applicants also urged the court to direct INEC…
BALA Mohammed, governor of Bauchi State, on Wednesday hosted members of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the House of Representatives from the state, in what appears to be a significant step in ongoing political realignments. News Point Nigeria reports that the meeting took place at the governor’s residence in Abuja, coming amid growing indications of his planned exit from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). Speaking with journalists after the meeting, Dabo Ismail, who represents Toro Federal Constituency, explained that the governor convened the session as part of consultations with stakeholders ahead of a possible defection to the ruling party.…
THE leadership crisis within the African Democratic Congress (ADC) escalated on Thursday as a faction led by Nafiu Gombe staged a protest at the headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Abuja, demanding official recognition. News Point Nigeria reports that Gombe, joined by Kogi lawmaker Leke Abejide and hundreds of supporters, accused the David Mark-led faction of attempting to unlawfully seize control of the party in violation of its constitution and established processes. Speaking during the protest, Gombe urged the electoral commission to adhere strictly to due process in resolving the dispute. “We are here to urge INEC…
THE Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has recorded over 3.4 million new voters in the ongoing second phase of the Continuous Voter Registration (CVR) exercise across the country. According to the commission’s week 13 update released on Wednesday in Abuja sighted by News Point Nigeria, a total of 3,441,121 registrations had been completed as of April 3, 2026. The figure covers both online pre-registrations and physical walk-in registrations nationwide. INEC disclosed that 2,068,384 citizens completed their registration through its online platform, while 1,372,737 others registered physically at designated centres across Nigeria. A breakdown of the data by states showed that…
THE Special Adviser to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Media and Public Communication, Sunday Dare, has firmly rejected allegations by opposition parties that the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) is working to ensure it emerges as the only viable party on the ballot in the 2027 general elections. Dare made this known on Wednesday while speaking on Politics Today, a programme on Channels Television monitored by News Point Nigeria, where he maintained that there is no plan either covert or overt—to restrict the ballot to the APC. “There is no design whether covertly or overtly to have just the APC…
