THE Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says it will henceforth cease to accept correspondences from either the David Mark-led African Democratic Congress (ADC) faction or that of Rafiu Bala, following a review of the Court of Appeal judgment on March 12 this year. A statement sent to News Point Nigeria signed by the Chairman, Information and Voter Education, Mohammed Kudu, also noted that the commission will no longer engage with either faction, nor monitor any meetings, congresses, or conventions of the two groups until the matter at the Federal High Court is decided. The commission further announced that it would…
Author: Farouk Abbas
OPERATIVES of the Department of State Services on Wednesday bundled former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, into custody moments after proceedings at the Federal High Court in Kaduna. News Point Nigeria reports that El-Rufai, standing trial over alleged corruption, had just concluded a hearing on his bail application filed by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission when DSS operatives bundled him into a waiting vehicle and drove him away, reportedly heading to Abuja. A heavy DSS presence around the court before the hearing had fuelled speculation that the former governor might be taken into custody. Security sources…
THE Defence Headquarters has placed troops on nationwide alert ahead of the Easter celebrations, assuring Nigerians of tightened security. The DHQ also reaffirmed that ongoing support from the United States is strengthening counter-terrorism operations, with a visible impact expected in the coming weeks. NEws Point Nigeria reports that addressing journalists during the end-of-the-month briefing on Tuesday in Abuja, the Director, Defence Media Operations, Maj Gen Michael Onoja, assured citizens of heightened vigilance by troops during the Easter celebrations. Onoja said the Armed Forces had already placed personnel on alert nationwide to prevent any security breach during the holiday period. He…
THE Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, has disclosed that more than 840,000 foreigners are currently overstaying their visas in Nigeria, describing the situation as a significant migration challenge. In a guest appearance on Tuesday’s edition of Channels Television’s Politics Today monitored by News Point Nigeria, the minister said the figure was obtained through the country’s recently upgraded immigration tracking system. “Just as we have Nigerian overstayers in the UK, Nigeria is also facing the same challenge. As of this morning, through our upgraded system, we have about 848,290 visa overstayers in Nigeria. These are citizens of different countries residing in…
FORMER Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has been returned to the custody of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) following fresh court proceedings in Kaduna. News Point Nigeria reports that the former governor was re-arraigned on Tuesday after his temporary release on March 27, 2026, which was granted on compassionate grounds to enable him attend the burial of his late mother. El-Rufai’s legal challenges took a new turn as he first appeared before a Kaduna State High Court over a separate set of charges filed by the anti-graft agency. However, proceedings at the State High Court…
FORMER Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, on Tuesday returned to court in Kaduna just days after the burial of his late mother, as legal proceedings in his high-profile corruption trial intensified, drawing heightened public and political attention. News Point Nigeria reports that at the Federal High Court in Kaduna, the hearing of his bail application was adjourned till Wednesday by Justice Rilwan M. Aikawa following proceedings conducted under heavy security. The adjournment, which came amid tight security within and around the court premises, underscores the growing national interest in the case involving the former governor. Counsel to El-Rufai, Ukpong Akpan,…
VICE President Kashim Shettima on Monday paid a condolence visit to former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, at his Abuja residence over the death of his mother. The vice president’s visit was disclosed in a post issued by his media aide, Stanley Nkowcha, on his official X handle. During the visit, Shettima described the deceased as a woman of great virtue and a pillar of strength for her family. He offered prayers for the repose of her soul and for the El-Rufai family to find the strength to navigate this difficult period of mourning. The post read, “Vice President Kashim…
THE Independent National Electoral Commission has recognised the faction of the National Working Committee of the Peoples Democratic Party backed by the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike. News Point Nigeria reports that the electoral body reflected the development on its official website on Monday, where it published the updated leadership of the opposition party. Reacting to the report, Adedayo Oketola, Chief Press Secretary to the INEC Chairman, dismissed the claim of a “new” recognition, describing it as inaccurate. He clarified that the leadership records of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), including the names of the National Chairman…
Tragedy struck in Kahir village, Kaduna State, as armed bandits stormed a wedding celebration late Sunday night, killing at least 13 people and abducting an unspecified number of guests in a brazen attack that has left the community in shock and mourning. News Point Nigeria gathered that the attack occurred at about 11:47pm in Kagarko Local Government Area, when heavily armed gunmen invaded the wedding venue and opened fire indiscriminately on attendees. A resident, Shehu Bala, who spoke via telephone, said the attackers arrived in large numbers, wielding AK-47 rifles, and immediately began shooting into the crowded hall. “They stormed…
ABDULRAHMAN Mohammed and Samuel Anyanwu have been elected as substantive National Chairman and National Secretary, respectively, of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) backed by the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike. News Point Nigeria reports Mohammed and Anyanwu emerged through a consensus, along with 19 other members of the new national working committee of the PDP, at the party’s 2026 national convention held at the velodrome of the Moshood Abiola Stadium in Abuja on Sunday. Other prominent party members who attended the convention were a former governor of Jigawa State, Sule Lamido; a former Senate president, Bukola Saraki;…
THE All Progressives Congress (APC) has reiterated its resolve to deepen internal democracy and promote national unity as party leaders, stakeholders, and delegates convened in Abuja for its 8th National Convention. News Point Nigeria reports that the high-profile gathering, held at the nation’s capital, brought together key figures within the ruling party, including the Vice President, Kashim Shettima; Senate President, Godswill Akpabio; governors; members of the National Assembly; and thousands of party delegates. Speaking on the sidelines of the event, the Minister of State for Works, Bello Muhammad Goronyo, commended the organisation of the convention, describing it as one of…
WITH Nigerians experiencing recurring power outages in recent weeks, the coming days are going to be better. News Point Nigeria reports that this is according to President Bola Tinubu, who spoke at the National Convention of the All Progressives Congress (APC), in Abuja on Friday. The country has battled power outages in recent weeks, owing to lower generation. But President Tinubu says a turnaround is underway. “I assure you, many of you lamenting the problem of electricity and power; we are paying attention to that,” he said. “Electricity will become better, and we assure you there will be opportunities and…
AFTER hours of high-stakes deliberations, the All Progressives Congress (APC) has now concluded its 8th National Convention, with Nentawe Yilwatda returning as the party’s national chairman. News Point Nigeria reports that apart from Yilwatda, the ruling picked Surajudeen Basiru as its secretary. The duo and other members of the National Working Committee (NWC) of the party were elected via a consensus arrangement ratified by delegates at the convention. The Convention Election Committee announced the members of the NWC during the 4th Elective National Convention of the APC. Others include Felix Morka as publicity secretary and Dayo Israel, who retained his…
FORMER Katsina State Governor and chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, Aminu Bello Masari, has dismissed the opposition African Democratic Congress as lacking fresh ideas or new faces, insisting that its leading figures are long-time political actors with no novel solutions for Nigerians. News Point Nigeria reports that Masari made the remarks on Friday while speaking to journalists on the sidelines of the APC National Convention at Eagle Square in Abuja. The former governor questioned the credibility of the ADC’s claim to represent a new political alternative, arguing that most of its prominent members have held public office for years.…
NO fewer than 8,433 delegates are expected to participate in the 2026 national convention of the All Progressives Congress (APC) at Eagle Square, Abuja. News Point Nigeria reports that they will be led by President Bola Tinubu, 31 governors, and members of his cabinet. The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, disclosed this at a meeting with journalists at the Transcorp Hilton in Abuja to unveil plans and expectations for the upcoming event, scheduled for March 27 and 28. Idris, who serves as Co-Chairman of the convention’s Media and Publicity Committee, outlined readiness, logistics, and the party’s democratic…
FORMER Senate President, Bukola Saraki, has ruled out contesting the 2027 presidential election, citing his support for zoning the presidency to the southern region of the country. Saraki made this known on Thursday while speaking as a guest on Politics Today monitored by News Point Nigeria. “No, I’m not running for president in 2027,” he said. Speaking further, Saraki acknowledged his long-standing ambition to lead the country but explained that his decision was guided by political fairness and party consensus following the 2023 general election. “I do, I do, I would not lie if I say I don’t,” he said…
JUSTICE Peter Kekemeke of the Federal Capital Territory High Court has issued a bench warrant for the arrest of the factional National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Tanimu Turaki, SAN. News Point Nigeria reports that Justice Kekemeke issued the warrant after Turaki failed to attend court for his arraignment. The Inspector-General of Police (IGP) charged Turaki with giving false information to the police. At the day’s proceedings, the prosecution counsel, Usman Rabiu, said the business of the court for the day was for Turaki to enter his plea. Rabiu noted that the defendant was absent in court despite…
HEALTH workers under the Joint Health Sector Unions and the Assembly of Healthcare Professional Associations are protesting at the Unity Fountain in Abuja. News Point Nigeria reports that the protest is against the proposed health sector regulatory bill, which is before the National Assembly. The protesting health workers are against the bill, claiming that if allowed to pass, it would subject every medical profession to the regulation of the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria. They maintain that all health professions have their regulatory bodies, and that the new bill was seeking to make other health professionals second-class to medical…
THE All Progressives Congress has confirmed that it plans to adopt a consensus approach for selecting its national leadership during the party’s convention scheduled for March 27–28, 2026, in Abuja. News Point Nigeria reports that the Assistant Secretary for Media and Publicity for the APC National Convention 2026, Mary Ikoku, disclosed the plan during an interview on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Wednesday. On the issue of elective positions during primaries, Ikoku said the party had not yet decided how these would be handled, noting that decisions may vary depending on local political dynamics. She explained, “APC, for this convention,…
THE Federal Government has apologised to Nigerians over power outages but is promising improvements across the country in the coming days. News Point Nigeria reports that the Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, made the promise on Tuesday during a press conference on his achievements in the last three years. “I want to apologise to Nigerians, officially now, coming from me as the minister of power, for this temporary issue that is leading to hardship being experienced, especially during this dry season, where there is so much heat everywhere,” he said. “Businesses are being affected, schools have been affected, and industries…
