THE Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has commenced the demolition of houses and other structures built on designated water channels in Abuja, following the directive of the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, that illegal developments obstructing waterways must be removed.
News Point Nigeria reports that the demolition exercise began on Tuesday in Maitama, shortly after Wike ordered the immediate removal of structures built on designated water channels and other waterways across the nation’s capital.
Tractors were seen pulling down some of the affected structures as FCTA officials moved in to begin enforcement of the minister’s directive.
Wike had issued the order after embarking on an inspection of areas affected by the flash floods that hit several parts of Abuja following heavy rainfall on Saturday.
The minister said buildings and other structures constructed on designated water channels had significantly worsened the impact of the flooding, vowing that all such illegal developments would be demolished regardless of the social or political status of their owners.
He said the demolition exercise would continue between Tuesday and Saturday.
“We will demolish all those houses found on the water channel. Some of them are senators. Some of them are big men,” Wike said.
The minister also directed the immediate desilting of identified drainage channels across the Federal Capital Territory as part of efforts to address flooding and prevent further disasters.
The latest flooding left several residents stranded, while vehicles were submerged in different parts of Abuja, including Maitama, Wuse 2, Gudu, Lokogoma and other affected areas.
Wike attributed the flooding to a combination of natural and human factors, including the construction of buildings on waterways, blocked drainage channels and indiscriminate dumping of refuse.
He said the FCT Administration would strictly enforce development regulations to ensure that houses and other structures did not obstruct the natural flow of stormwater.
The minister had earlier vowed that no property owner would be spared, irrespective of position or influence, insisting that the government had the political will to take down structures found to have been built on designated water channels.

