A SUSPECTED coup plotter has told the Federal High Court in Abuja how plans were allegedly made to penetrate the Presidential Villa through an ambulance entrance as part of an alleged coup operation targeting Aso Rock.
News Point Nigeria reports that the revelation came on Wednesday during the trial before Justice Joyce Abdulmalik, where a video evidence involving one of the defendants, Zekeri Umoru, was played in open court.
Umoru, a staff member of Julius Berger Nigeria Plc attached to the Maintenance Department at the Presidential Villa, alleged that discussions surrounding the operation also included plans to switch off electricity supply within the Villa to aid the alleged coup plot.
The fourth defendant made the statements while being interrogated by members of the Special Investigative Panel (SIP), the body that initially investigated the alleged conspiracy.
According to Umoru, the alleged mastermind of the plot, Col. Mohammed Ma’aji, approached him through the third defendant, Inspector Ahmed Ibrahim, with an offer of money to recruit between 18 and 19 persons working inside the Presidential Villa.
He said those targeted for recruitment included soldiers, officials of the Department of State Services (DSS), and Julius Berger workers stationed within the Villa complex.
Umoru further claimed that Inspector Ibrahim later demanded N100 million from Ma’aji to facilitate access into the Presidential Villa through the ambulance route.
According to him, Ma’aji allegedly rejected the demand on the grounds that the amount was excessive, insisting he could still gain entry into the Villa “with force,” even if those recruited from inside refused to cooperate.
Umoru said he later became uncomfortable with the alleged plan and repeatedly tried to return the money handed to him.
He explained that he eventually realised that gaining access to the Presidential Villa “was not a child’s play.”
He also denied allegations that he had access to the Villa’s solar power facility or that he planned to sabotage electricity supply within the Presidential complex.
Explaining why he failed to immediately report the alleged discussions to security authorities, Umoru claimed that Inspector Ibrahim discouraged him from doing so.
According to him, Ibrahim allegedly instructed him to delete messages and avoid contacting Ma’aji because an audit was ongoing in their office at the time.
Following the proceedings, Justice Abdulmalik adjourned the matter until May 21 for the continuation of the trial-within-trial aimed at determining whether the statements made by the six defendants were voluntary.
The Federal Government, through the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF), had earlier arraigned the defendants before Justice Abdulmalik on a 13-count charge.
The charge, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/206/2026, was filed on April 20 by the Director of Public Prosecutions of the Federation, Rotimi Oyedepo (SAN).
Those standing trial are retired Major General Mohammed Ibrahim Gana, retired Captain Erasmus Ochegobia Victor, Inspector Ahmed Ibrahim, Zekeri Umoru, Bukr Kashim Goni, and Abdulkadir Sani, listed as first to sixth defendants respectively.
Former Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Timipre Sylva, who was also linked to the alleged plot, was listed in the charge as being at large.
The defendants are facing charges bordering on treason, terrorism, failure to disclose security intelligence, and money laundering linked to alleged terrorism financing.

