BANDITS have reportedly beheaded one of the abducted teachers of Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, Michael Oyedokun, in a disturbing live video that surfaced online, throwing the community into mourning and raising fresh fears over the safety of other victims still in captivity.
News Point Nigeria reports that Oyedokun was killed in a live video streamed from an unknown Telegram channel on Sunday, days after gunmen invaded the school and abducted several teachers and students.
A recording of the video obtained by our correspondent on Telegram on Monday showed the teacher tied up and forced to speak before he was gruesomely killed by the bandits.
The viral and disturbing video has since sparked outrage and renewed concerns over worsening insecurity, particularly the safety of those still being held captive by the abductors.
The latest development has left residents of the community devastated, with families of the victims and concerned indigenes calling on security agencies and the Oyo State Government to intensify rescue operations before more lives are lost.
Confirming the killing, the Special Adviser on Media to Governor Seyi Makinde, Dr. Suleimon Olanrewaju, said in a statement on Monday that the governor had extended condolences to the family of the slain teacher while assuring that the government would continue to deploy both kinetic and non-kinetic approaches to secure the release of the remaining victims.
Olanrewaju also disclosed that about six suspects connected to the kidnapping incident had been arrested by security operatives.
He further sympathised with the families of members of the tactical team made up of soldiers, operatives of the Amotekun Corps and local vigilantes who lost their lives during rescue operations.
According to him, the security operatives died after encountering Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) allegedly planted by the abductors.
He stated that wounded security personnel were responding positively to treatment and assured that the government would spare no effort or resources in caring for them.
The governor’s aide appealed to relatives of the victims, religious leaders and other stakeholders to remain patient, promising that the government was working tirelessly to rescue those still in captivity and reunite them with their families.
“So, please, there may not be quick fixes, but we will continue to endeavour to push ourselves to the limit to resolve this quickly,” he said.
“What we know right now is that seven teachers in all were abducted. And, unfortunately, we got a video this morning that one of the teachers, I understand, the mathematics teacher, was killed by the terrorists.”
Makinde’s aide, however, noted that security agencies had already recorded some successes in the ongoing operation, with several arrests already made in connection with the abduction.
“Well, from the information available from the Commissioner of Police, about six individuals have been arrested within the locality.
“Some of them, we believe, are perhaps informants or people running logistics for the terrorists.
“Also, three individuals of interest have been arrested by another security outfit within the state,” he added.
News Point Nigeria reports that the gunmen invaded the school on Friday, May 15, abducting the principal alongside other teachers and several students.
The attack came just weeks after a failed kidnap attempt along the Ibadan-Ijebu road which reportedly left one traveller dead, further intensifying fears over the growing wave of insecurity in parts of Oyo State and across the country.

