A RETIRED senior civil servant and political aspirant, Hon. Muhammad Radhi Amin, has formally joined the race for the House of Representatives seat for Tarauni Federal Constituency after obtaining the nomination form of the African Democratic Congress. News Point Nigeria reports that Radhi picked the nomination form on Wednesday ahead of the party’s forthcoming primary election. The aspirant is expected to battle for the ADC ticket alongside former member of the House of Representatives, Hon. Nasiru Baballe, who had earlier obtained his nomination form to contest for the same seat. Muhammad Radhi Amin, popularly known as “O Musa,” hails from…
Author: Farouk Abbas
THE Federal Government has officially approved the long-awaited 40 per cent peculiar allowance for federal civil servants following mounting pressure and threats of industrial action by organised labour. News Point Nigeria reports that the approval came after a marathon meeting on Tuesday personally presided over by the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, Esther Walson-Jack, at the conference hall of her office in Abuja. During the meeting, the National Salaries, Incomes and Wages Commission formally released the circular for the implementation of the allowance, bringing to an end nearly two years of agitation by workers over the delayed…
A MAX Air aircraft travelling from Abuja to Katsina was forced to make an emergency return to the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, after developing what the airline described as an “engine anomaly” shortly after takeoff. News Point Nigeria reports that the incident, which occurred on Monday, triggered panic among passengers onboard the flight as the aircraft reportedly lost altitude mid-air before pilots regained control and safely returned to Abuja. Videos shared on X showed passengers gathered on the tarmac after the aircraft landed safely, with many awaiting further instructions from the airline. One of the passengers, who narrated the…
THE sixth defendant in the ongoing trial of alleged coup plotters accused of plotting against the government of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Sani Abdulkadir, has told the court that he warned the suspects their plan would ultimately fail. According to a source who spoke to News Point Nigeria on condition of anonymity, Abdulkadir made the disclosure on Monday during the resumed hearing of the case before the Federal High Court in Abuja. Abdulkadir, whose video-recorded statement was played in open court, admitted receiving money to pray for the success of the alleged operation but insisted that he warned the suspected…
THE Federal Capital Territory High Court has issued a bench warrant for the arrest of former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, following his absence from court during proceedings in Abuja. News Point Nigeria reports that presiding judge, Justice Maryann Anineh, on Monday also revoked the bail earlier granted to the former minister. Mamman is being prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission alongside seven others on a nine-count charge bordering on conspiracy, obtaining by false pretence, and intent to defraud to the tune of N31 billion. The former minister is also facing separate charges before the Federal High Court…
THE Federal Government has retained 16 years as the minimum age for admission into tertiary institutions across Nigeria, while also announcing that candidates seeking admission into Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE) programmes in colleges of education will no longer be required to sit for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME). News Point Nigeria reports that the Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, announced the decisions on Monday during the 2026 Policy Meeting on Admissions to Tertiary Institutions held in Abuja. Alausa said the decision to retain the 16-year minimum admission age followed extensive consultations and policy reviews involving key stakeholders in…
THE Nigerian military has insisted that recent air operations conducted in Shiroro Local Government Area of Niger State were targeted at armed bandits, following allegations from residents that civilians may have been affected. In a detailed clarification contained in a statement sent to News Point Nigeria and signed by the Director of Defence Media Operations, Major General Michael Onoja, the Defence Headquarters said the air interdiction operations were based on credible intelligence indicating the convergence of armed bandits at Lukupe Village in Shiroro LGA on May 9, 2026. It explained that between 11:59 p.m. on May 9 and 6:00 a.m.…
AMNESTY International has welcomed the directive issued by the Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu, ordering an investigation into the enforced disappearance of government critic and academic, Abubakar Idris, nearly seven years after he was abducted in Kaduna. In a statement issued on Sunday, the organisation described the development as a significant step, saying it “welcomes the directive issued on 8 May 2026 by the Inspector-General of Police ordering an investigation into the enforced disappearance” of Dadiyata. The rights group said the directive followed petitions alleging the involvement of two serving police officers in the case, noting that “the decision to…
A FORMER Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, has formally secured the governorship nomination form of the African Democratic Congress ahead of the 2027 Kebbi State governorship election. Malami, in a statement sent to News Point Nigeria on Saturday on his social media handles, said he decided to join the race because he could no longer remain silent over what he described as worsening insecurity, poverty, poor healthcare, educational decline, and economic hardship in Kebbi State. He alleged that Kebbi State is currently facing one of the worst humanitarian and governance crises in Nigeria, citing…
THE National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, has held a strategic meeting with the United States Vice President, J. D. Vance, where he briefed him on ongoing reforms and operational measures being undertaken by the Federal Government to improve national security, stabilise communities affected by insecurity, and address the root causes of the menace. A Saturday statement sent to News Point Nigeria by Special Adviser on Information and Strategy to President Bola Tinubu, Bayo Onanuga, noted that Ribadu undertook a three-day working visit to the US from May 4 to May 6, where he held a series of high-level…
BAYO Onanuga, Senior Special Adviser on Information and Strategy to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, has taunted former Bayelsa State governor, Seriake Dickson, saying his party, the Nigeria Democratic Congress, has no plans for Nigeria. In a statement sent to News Point Nigeria on Saturday, Onanuga described the NDC as “a camp for the politically displaced and desperate.” His remarks come amid growing momentum around the party following the recent defection of Peter Obi, the 2023 presidential candidate of the Labour Party, and former Kano State governor, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, from the African Democratic Congress to the NDC. The presidential aide…
THE Federal High Court in Abuja on Friday again adjourned indefinitely the suit filed by an African Democratic Congress chieftain, Nafiu Bala Gombe, challenging the party’s leadership under former Senate President David Mark. News Point Nigeria reports that Justice Emeka Nwite adjourned the matter sine die after the plaintiff informed the court that he had applied to the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court for the transfer of the case to another judge. The suit, marked FHC/ABJ/CS/1819/2025, has triggered a fresh leadership crisis within the ADC following the emergence of David Mark and former Osun State governor, Rauf Aregbesola,…
FORMER President Goodluck Jonathan has said he will consult widely before deciding whether to contest the 2027 presidential election, stressing that the race for Nigeria’s highest office “is not a computer game.” News Point Nigeria reports that Jonathan made the remarks on Thursday while receiving youth groups who visited his office in Abuja to urge him to join the 2027 presidential race. The former President said he had taken note of the appeals but would not rush into making a political decision without extensive consultations and careful consideration. “You are asking me to come and contest the next election. The…
VICE President Kashim Shettima on Thursday formally submitted President Bola Tinubu’s nomination and expression of interest forms to national officers of the ruling All Progressives Congress, signalling the President’s intention to clinch the party’s ticket for the 2027 presidential election and seek a second term in office. News Point Nigeria reports that the submission ceremony, held at the Bola Ahmed Tinubu International Conference Centre, drew party faithful, state governors, National Assembly members and top APC officials, as the Vice President rallied support for President Tinubu’s re-election bid. Speaking shortly after submitting the forms, Shettima said President Tinubu had demonstrated the…
FORMER President Goodluck Jonathan has disclosed that he is still consulting on whether or not to join the 2027 presidential race amid growing calls from supporters urging him to return to power. News Point Nigeria reports that Jonathan made the remark on Thursday when a group of young persons under the auspices of the Coalition for Jonathan 2027 visited him at his office in Abuja. Addressing the coalition members and a mammoth crowd of supporters, the former president emphasised the importance of patriotism, peace and active youth participation in the electoral process. He lamented Nigeria’s persistently low voter turnout despite…
JUSTICE James Omotosho of the Federal High Court in Abuja has convicted former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, on a 12-count charge bordering on fraud and money laundering filed against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission. News Point Nigeria reports that delivering judgment, Justice Omotosho held that the anti-graft agency successfully established the former minister’s culpability beyond reasonable doubt. Mamman, who served under former President Muhammadu Buhari, was found guilty of the illegal diversion of public funds totalling about ₦33.8 billion. The court held that the former minister made a cash payment of $655,700, equivalent to about ₦200…
THE new Minister of Power, Olasunkanmi Tegbe, on Wednesday, assured Nigerians that the era of repeated national grid collapses, erratic electricity supply, and persistent vandalism of power infrastructure would soon be brought under control, pledging urgent reforms to stabilise the country’s troubled power sector. News Point Nigeria reports that Tegbe gave the assurance during his screening during the Senate plenary in Abuja, where he was later confirmed as Minister of Power following questioning from lawmakers over the state of the electricity sector. The confirmation followed a rigorous screening session presided over by Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, during which lawmakers pressed…
THE Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered the interim forfeiture of nine properties linked to former Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Timipre Sylva, to the Federal Government. News Point Nigeria reports that Justice Obiora Egwuatu gave the order after counsel to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Oluwaleke Atolagbe, moved an ex-parte motion seeking the temporary forfeiture of the assets. Delivering the ruling, Justice Egwuatu stated: “It is hereby ordered as follows: “An interim order of this honourable court is made forfeiting the properties listed in the schedule attached herein being properties suspected to be proceeds of…
THE National Working Committee (NWC) of the All Progressives Congress has been urged to extend the waiver of screening requirements granted to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to all serving APC governors seeking re-election or contesting for senatorial seats. The call was made in a press statement signed by Umar D. Duhu, LLM, Ph.D, who argued that fairness, equity, and consistency within the party demand that all similarly placed incumbents enjoy the same privilege recently accorded to the President. The APC NWC, at its 188th meeting held on May 6, 2026, had resolved to waive the screening requirements for President Tinubu…
THE Senate has confirmed Joseph Olasunkanmi Tegbe and Ambassador Sola Enikanolaiye as Ministers of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. News Point Nigeria reports that the duo were confirmed after their screening at the Committee of the Whole on the floor of the Senate on Wednesday. President Bola Tinubu had written to the Senate on Tuesday seeking confirmation of the nomination of Tegbe and Enikanolaiye as a Ministers. President Tinubu, citing Section 147(2) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), which empowers the President to nominate ministers subject to Senate confirmation, urged lawmakers to give the request prompt consideration. During his screening…
